Alex Charters Student Scholarships
The Hypervelocity Impact Society offers the Alex Charters Student Scholars Program to eligible students. This program provides travel reimbursement support to selected students for attendance at Hypervelocity Impact Symposiums. Students are selected through a competitive evaluation of nominations submitted by their academic advisors.
Students enrolled in an academic institution at the time of the conference and interested in hypervelocity impact phenomena are eligible for nomination to the Alex Charters Student Scholars Program. This program is aimed primarily at graduate students, although undergraduate students may apply.
Students selected as Alex Charters Student Scholars will receive complementary registration to HVIS2024 and a copy of the conference proceedings. They will additionally be eligible for reimbursement of travel expenses incurred in their attendance at HVIS 2024 (transportation and lodging expenses only), up to a limit of US$1000 per student.
How to Submit Nominations
The nomination must be submitted by the student's academic advisor, on the letterhead of the academic institution. The nomination is limited to a maximum of three pages, and must include the following items:
- ・Names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of both the student and the advisor.
- ・A brief overview of the student's academic background and record.
- ・Discuss the student's status (MS or PhD, or undergraduate) and where the student is with respect to their program requirements.
- ・A discussion of why attendance at the symposium would be helpful to the student.
- ・Abstract of the poster or oral presentation to be given by the student at the conference.
Nominations submitted after the deadline or exceeding the three-page limit will not be considered.
Applications due: TBA
Alex Charters Student Scholars will be selected based on a review of the nominations by the HVIS Educational Outreach Committee.
Questions on the program may be directed to the committee chair,and .